Wednesday, February 22, 2012

My Favorite Teacher in the World



This book I made sits under my coffee table... I find it funny- I was blunt even at a young age (5th grade).  This book is special for a lot of reasons, but what makes it REALLY special is the teacher that made me write it.  The teacher that brought it to my Mom last year- thinking she would find it sweet- yes, she one of those teachers.  

There are teachers who are just there to get by, there are teachers who are fun- but don't teach you anything, there are teachers who are on power trips, and then there are teachers who CARE, EDUCATE, and INSPIRE at the same time.  She taught us more than just English, but how to feel like a family, share feelings, treasure moments, encourage, laugh, and LOVE!  She has influenced me and my teaching career more than she knows- I told her that too a while back at the Quads graduation party- yes she came to our house- because she cares.  

The main thing I remember about her class was the birthday book- being a summer- Aug 5th birthday...I never got the attention I thought I deserved at school- haha...still having problems dealing with that.  BUT she would have us all write a journal entry explaining why our classmate was special and unique- and bind it and put it in a pretty little birthday book  for us.  Making a child feel special like that, is better than any lecture.  I still have my book.  I think everyone still has that book- All 800 (threw a number out...I am sure it is more), etc. students that she has touched.  I do a different variation of that activity with my students every Friday.  It is amazing what kind words from peers can do for a kid!  Even my "toughest" kids remind me that it is Friday and time to do the sheet.  Such a great idea, that she never stopped doing for us.

My siblings and I all went to school in Lorena, Texas (all 12 grades)- Loved it!  It is a 3A district- graduated with 114- small school.  We all were blessed to have Mrs. Campos for a teacher- she was all of our favorites.  After 5th grade, we saw her around... her influence and words of encouragement did not stop after we went to 6th.  Yes, a teacher can make a difference and change lives- that is why teaching is all worth it for me.  So blessed to have such a wonderful example- She will forever inspire me to be THAT kind of teacher!  I love you Mrs. Campos!

p.s.  Even if you are not a "certified teacher," you are a teacher to someone.  Never discount the affects of encouragement and love.


No comments:

Post a Comment