Monday, June 28, 2010

Sandals made out of Tires...WHAT?!?


Hello people who are interested...

I never thought people would find my ramblings interesting...but I have received many sweet comments that have persuaded me to try to write every night. Today was a good day. It's really hard for me to put all of the things that I observe down in a few paragraphs, but I am hitting the highlights. This week there are many people coming in and out of the house. They are in the process of building a church building on Duane's property, so many of the men are coming over everyday this week and put it together real fast for the revival that will happen this weekend. They are expecting about 500 or more visitors (all of the women will be sleeping in the living room of the house), and they will cook using the outside kitchen (looks like a hut). Today men from another village brought hay and wood (4 hours away) on a tractor. If you saw these roads you would not believe me...on a tractor, crazy.









They are also building a bathhouse for the women (literally a bucket and a sponge- and a hole for a toilet). Everything takes so long to build and make- every time we cook a meal, it takes hours. Every time we want water it takes days to filter it. If you go into town it takes a whole day to barter with people and drive on the crowded roads. This guy who stays here and helps with the chickens, Cryer, he actually made his sandals out of tires and nails- It took him a day!


Today I started to teach the kids English. It was a memory that I will never forget. It seriously makes me want to teach kids in another country. Sorry current students, but these kids just light up when they learn something new. They never complain...never, they just do what I tell them with a smile. The boys stayed home today from school to learn from April and I. All of the donations: spirals, pencils, pencil sharpeners, markers, map pencils, stickers, flashcards, books (thanks Janet and Jenny), have been amazing! All who gave should feel very special...I wish I could take a picture of their faces when I give things to them. I have given those supplies to 4 different families, the orphans, and the Cook Julia. Side note about Julie... she is so cool- guys you would want to marry her if you met her. She has a pretty smile, and she is very smart. She told me she wants to be a teacher, but what is sad is that not all Zambia kids have the chance to go to college, they are picked. So instead she went to Housekeeping school. I asked her a ton of questions about their culture, dating (which they do not really do), AIDS (I know it's taboo, but I really wanted to see what they think about it, and if people know about it- which they are learning more about it she said). One thing that she did say that really upset me was that some older men with AIDS think that they can get rid of the AIDS if they have sex with a virgin. Sorry if I offended anyone by saying that, but I just want you all to know how it is here.

Continuing about the English Lesson... We sat at the table for a while and went over flash cards then we played a game about Noah and the Ark by using AWESOME felt animals that Brandi, Krista, and Marissa helped me make- the kids loved it! We also played a few other games to get them to read and laugh. I brought my hooked on phonics set from when I was little and it was so helpful! The kids were getting so into it, and their confidence was really building the entire time. I was so happy with them, and just the experience to really make a difference as a teacher. They did not want to stop so we went through about 20 pages, which is lot of phonics! I gave them a break and they did not want it- the joys of teaching kids who want to learn. They also told me what their teachers do to them if they act up in class (but they said no one does)- So just want current students I have some discipline tricks up my sleeve:)













After the lesson we helped Julia prepare lunch for 22 people- very hard with little resources! We made chicken, cabbage, french fries (no not in a bag), we had to cut up a million potatoes, rice, salad, and toast. It took us about 2 hours in the kitchen.










We also helped with supper- we made BLT sandwiches, and popcorn for dessert...which we ate around the campfire tonight will trying to learn new songs in their language. Then Collins (who just spent an hour playing with my hair) and Joseph (who wants to be a preacher), stood up in front of us to show how they mock Duane and his translator. It was the cutest thing ever. Joseph has it down- he had scriptures and mannerisms just like Duane.












Well these long nights and early mornings are getting harder for me to handle... Thanks for reading! Love you Mom, Dad, Cassie, Grant, Lexi, Austin, and Candice...get skype I need to talk to yall and introduce you to the family! For others my skype name is lanawilson8585. I am only on around 3:00 p.m.- 5:00 p.m. (your time).

Thanks ALISHA for putting up some pictures... we are tag teaming on pictures(it takes too long for me to do it).

Oh and a Bat flew at me tonight... a real bat.

8 comments:

  1. Wan!!! I'm so glad to see you made it and are enjoying this experience! I LOOOVVVEEE reading about it. So, keep it up. I honestly have no idea how you have internet there... But, on the picture of the barber shop I saw a satellite dish in the background. I guess all things are possible.

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lan!

    Everything sounds so wonderful! I can't wait to hear all of your amazing stories that you will have to tell us for years to come! I'm so glad that you are able to have this experience! Everything sounds so amazing and inspirational! Maybe one day I can do what you are doing now. I love you and am so glad that you are blogging about this. Every ten minutes at least one, or two, people from our family is checking the computer for an update from you! haha No lie! But, I just want you to know that you are missed and are in our prayers and we are constantly thinking about you and what you could possibly be doing at the time! I love you! Have a marvelous day!

    Love,
    Lexi

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm loving your blog Lan! Keep the stories and pictures coming! Sounds like you are having a blast and that the kids love you (but who doesn't :). Just know that you're in my prayers and I think of you often.

    love you
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lana,
    I get so excited to read about your day. It makes me tear up reading it because I almost feel like I am there and how wonderful the people are and just deserve so much love. I'm sure that you feel like they are just lighting up your life, but you know you are doing that for them probably more than you know. I am so happy you are getting this experience and I pray that one day I can do something the same. Keep up the good teaching and maybe try to get some tire sandals before you leave! :) Miss you and Love you tons ~ Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lana Banana,
    We are so glad you are having a great time. We can't wait to hear more about your amazing experiences. You are always in our thoughts and prayers.
    Love,
    Krista and Timo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lana,
    Your blog always brightens my day!
    I'm so happy that you get to have this exciting adventure.
    I know you miss home,and believe me WE miss YOU too!
    We pray for you often and I hope you are having the time of your life:)!
    I will miss not seeing you at the Springfield meeting,but I'm sure you are going to have a great time with the meeting up there!!

    Dad said that we are getting skype soon. So know we can meet everyone!:)

    I love you and miss you dearly<3
    Love,Candice(your little sister!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Lana, I'm very interested in your blog. I visited Zambia in Oct 2008 and stayed with Duane. I miss the children. Tell them hello for me. - Michael Howard

    ReplyDelete
  8. Someone should have told you about the pootsie flies!!! They're not common to Zimbabwe where we lived, but were such a menace in Zambia. Jillian is quite the expert! ha d. cutter

    ReplyDelete