Friday, July 2, 2010

Campfires, Outdoor Kitchen, and Lots of Walking.

Today has been a great day. We went to eat breakfast at a very cool place, and then we stopped at a few shops. They had the CUTEST baby shop ever! Everything in there was handmade and I wanted to buy it all. I am waiting though, until I go to the market. On the way to the breakfast restraunt were many photo opportunities. I am a weirdo that thinks everything is cool and unique so I take a million pictures. Thanks Alisha for posting some of my pictures! Most of them are either from the school, the church that is being built, or just around the house I am staying at. I have taken many more, but with the internet being slow, I might not get to download them.

After eating this morning Duane took us the back way- meaning dirt bumpy road- through the "compound-" meaning neighborhood with houses right next to each other. These are the places that you see on T.V. and they are asking for money. It is just so crazy to see it in person. It is actually even worse that the commercials. What I cannot get over are the little kids that are carrying babies on their backs. I also cannot get over all of the kids that are just running wild in the streets. Today we saw kids who were filling up a coke bottle with creek water- aka. sewer water- I wanted to yell out the window- STOP, but I refrained. Everyone here is so nice, we drive through these compounds and just wave and say muli bwanji (hi) not sure about the spelling. They always wave back and say hi. We stopped at a sister's house and she let us come in her home (the home of the baby at the top of my blog), it was very simple but nice. On the side of the road they sell anything from little dried fish, to gum, cooking oil in bottles, or vegetables. The dried fish totally gross me out.

Once we got back to the house we found many new visitors in the yard. Many people came 2 hours from Chockoma balancing suitcases on their heads. The women immediately started to cook for the people in the Outdoor kitchen. Babies were bathed in little buckets. I took pictures of this one little girl who had been crying most of the day because she was sick, I felt so bad for her. Julia translated for me and said that her mother can only get adult pills for her, and they just dissolve them with water. I am not a nurse of doctor, but I am thinking that is not so safe ..Oh well they do what they gotta do. There are many kids here now and so I have been taking many pictures. I love taking kid pictures. Most of them do not know how to speak good english because they are "from the Bush." Everyone is staying outside tonight, and the women are sleeping in this hut thing that they made. Most of the men are sleeping in the church on homemade benches. Duane does not try to "Americanize" them, instead he just lets them do their own thing. It is weird that they do not eat as much, they take baths with sponges and a bucket of water that they warm on the fire, that they sleep outside, that flies always surround their food, that they wear clothes that I saw in America 10 years ago, that they do not expect or like the same food as us, that the men do not really look me in the eye, or that the kids do not say anything or complain even if they are starving. I asked Collins tonight what he ate, and he said he had just had breakfast- it was about 7:00 p.m. when he said that. They just don't say anything.

The service was good! There was a big crowd for the first night. It will last until monday evening. This will be a long weekend. We will have church all day tomorrow, since so many people walked long distances they expect lots of preaching! The services are always so awesome, and full of joy. I will video some of the singing, it is something that I cannot explain.

After church we went to eat, because we might get sick if we eat their food, and the world cup was on. It was fun watching it with true Africans- since Ghana played and all. Ok, that is all for now... Check out the new pictures below- thanks again Alisha!


6 comments:

  1. I got really home sick after Duane took me through the poorest part of the city. The women were washing their laundry in the creek. The creek was full of rubish and I'm sure other things. When others say the trip will change your life they mean you'll now have another lens to view the world with. - Michael Howard

    ReplyDelete
  2. Muli bwanji! Tebwino kieno? (Or however you spell it! ha) So glad your visit is going so well and you're truly soaking it all in. That "other lens" that Michael was referring to - will be a blessing to you for the rest of your life. d. cutter

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Lana - We have been keeping up with your blog and enjoying a great deal. Will be nice when you are her to commentate. We all gathered around the computer tonight (8 of us)and read and re-read your notes. Then went through all the pictures. Thank you for sharing, and thank you Alisha for posting the pic's. Lonnie, Peggy, Jared, Joshua, Krista, Isaiah, Justis and Jenna.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In light of my earlier commen, I don't want you to get the fly sickness. Luke said, "boils hurt" and I don't want you to hurt. :-) Your dad has pulled up your blog here at Papa's and Grandma's. We are all proud of all you're doing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lana, your mom and I have been working on bridesmaid dresses today, so we kept checking your blog for new posts. We decided that you didn't post tonight because you are probably exhausted from the gospel meeting ... hope it is going well and that you are getting some rest now. We will be anxious to hear all about it. Night, night ... sleep tight! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are amazingly blessed here aren't we! I went on a very different kind of trip to Europe, but still felt how much I am blessed while over there. I know we have poor people here, but just not in such vast numbers or without government aid. I'm glad you can be over there helping lift their spirits and allowing them to impact your life.

    ReplyDelete