Sunday, June 27, 2010

Day 2- Being A Mom, Holding a Baby on my Back, and loving the Singing!

Hi... from Collins and I. He is sitting right by me, which I love. Today at church we were sitting by each other and I wrote down my name... He got the paper back and wrote I love Lana (they know some English, but we will work on it more). I heard the story today about their family situation and why they are orphans- the things you see and hear here are so sad and life-changing.

This morning when I woke up the girls came and me and said "What's for breakfast?" So I guess I am sort of a fill-in Mom these next few weeks- which is a great feeling. We scrambled eggs, and cooked some toast- It turned out good- Everyone helps out so much! Then all 14 of us fit in a pick up truck to go to church. The roads are CRAZY bumpy- In America we would use them as off-roading fun. Soooo bumpy (car sick bumpy). People were all in the streets. Like I said before everyone walks...and this morning everyone was walking to church. As we passed people yelled "Muzungu!" That means white person- haha that will be hard to get used to- we are celebrities. Once we pulled up the parking lot was empty...because we are the only ones who drive to church. They were singing as we pulled up, and we shook everyones hand. The men sit on one side and the girls sit on the other. The building was pretty nice (it was half inside/half outside). The communion had a peice of cloth covering it with stones holding down the cloth. The singing was really awesome- they have great voices, and great songs. Duane did a awesome job preaching...he is very gifted and the people love and respect him. Every prayer means so much more from them, because of their hard life experiences. The end of church was my favorite because they made all of the visitors- US- and they lined us up and everyone shook our hands while singing a church hymn. I sort of wish we did something like that- It might be weird to people though. It was really cute- all of the kids were running up to me wanting me to take a picture of them.

We all came home and ate Tuna sandwiches, then Duane discussed the story about how he took in the orphans...which was precious- I was crying...It made me want to adopt that much more. Especially these kids. But Duane said that both their parents died and they were street kids.... THAT IS ACTUALLY HAPPENING- kids live in the streets here. I am crying just thinking about it now- Collin is sitting close to me just needing some love. All I want to do is hug them, and I do because they love it.

Then we went back to church on the horrible road and it was great again. After church I came up to one of the sisters who has a baby and asked her how they carry their kids in a piece of fabric (all the women do)- so she showed me how by putting her baby on my back and wrapping the fabric around- It is really comfortable, they were laughing at my reactions. Then we came home and taught them a few games (kick ball, capture the flag, the blob), we all had a lot of fun. I discoved again how out of shape I am:) Then the girls and I cooked dinner again. All the food here is sort of bland and iffy...but I am just going to deal with it. We also played phase 10 and this memory game with the kids- they catch on fast! The days are full of family time- all we do is hang out and talk- no tv, just family time- Love it! Everything that i recieved from students and people have been so helpful- their faces just light up when I give them stuff. I bought a magnetic alphabet letter set for the refrigerator and everytime I look in the kitchen they are spelling words- which is a teachers dream! The appreciation and yearning to learn is something that I wish everyone would have more of in America. The boys are going to stay home tomorrow and I will help them to read a little better- Some of our words are very hard to teach...I brought my hooked on phonics, and so hopefully they will get hooked! Look at me- It worked- ha.

Oh we saw a Sunday Market where people make stuff to sell- it was AMAZING- I cannot wait to get some stuff there, everything looked so unique (I think I might go a little crazy)! Well... Collins and I say Goodnight! I miss you all.

5 comments:

  1. Lana,
    Grant, Austin, and I have just had our afternoon ice cream and reading your blog. We are checking it all the time to see if you've updated it. Tell your new family hello for us and tell them to take good care of you. We love you!
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lana,
    I love your sweet giving heart! The experiences you will have there, will change your life forever. Be safe and keep posting :) I am enjoying your journal so far. Love and big hugs ~
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is truly wonderful. You're a great person and excellent teacher. The kids are truly blessed to have you and I imagine you're feeling blessed to be there with them. :) Love you

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am enjoying your posts and can feel your excitment when reading them. You're writing brings back memories I have from my days living there. So . . . keep 'em coming! dana c.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lana Banana,
    I am absolutely loving your blog. I am so excited for you. I know your heart is being forever changed by all those beautiful children. I am glad you are feeling confident about the teaching thing too! I knew you would.:) Thank you so much for being a great example, I hope to follow in your footsteps and make it there someday. I love you lots and miss you. The blogs are great so keep up posting your sweet experiences. Tell the kids I love them dearly and am so proud of them. Their story has really touched my heart! I will be praying for you all!
    Love,
    Krista

    ReplyDelete